You should be well aware of the recent worrying outbreak of the coronavirus in Wuhan which may gradually spread to other areas of China in the days and weeks to come. At Harrow we are taking a number of preventative precautionary steps as part of our Infectious Disease Response Plan to minimize any risk to our children and staff, and I wanted to write to you to outline these as a matter of reassurance.
- We ask that any families who may be traveling to the Wuhan area during the CNY holiday communicate to the school prior to their return so that we are aware.
- We ask that any children who are in any way unwell before the return date to school, or show signs of any temperature rise or fever, remain at home until the all-clear has been given by a health professional.
- During the holiday period the school campus will be undergoing a deep disinfection clean of all areas, including the use of our specialist UV lamps.
- The schedule of regular cleaning (including disinfection) has been increased and will remain so until we can be sure the spread of the virus has been fully contained.
- Stocks of hand wash and disinfection products have been increased.
- Pupils who demonstrate any symptoms of being unwell whilst at school will be immediately isolated in the Medical Centre with their temperature taken.
- The children will be taught how, and reminded to, take precautionary measures whilst at school (e.g. more regular hand washing).
- Some communal play areas/equipment may be taken out of use.
- Some off-campus trips and visits may be postponed or cancelled.
- The school will continue to take direct advice daily from the health authorities and will monitor the situation in Shanghai closely.
We take the health of our community very seriously and will do all we can to keep our school safe. Despite the worry of such an outbreak, I do hope you have a very good, and healthy, holiday!